Your baby is growing like a weed and you are settling in to your new schedule. With all of these fun life changing moments, it time to start thinking about your baby’s first solid food! There are many options that are available today that our ancestors did not have. One of these is the option to make homemade baby food or opt for pre-made.
Homemade vs Store-Bought Foods
There are pros and cons when it comes to making your baby’s food at home versus purchasing prepared food from your local grocery store. All family dynamics are different. So, as a mom, dad, grandparent or caregiver, we encourage you to do what is best for your family.
- You have 100% control of what goes in your baby’s food
- The added benefit of fresh fruits and veggies
- Variety! You can experiment to see what your child likes best
- Saves $$$
- Time consuming
- Storage space - you will need lots!
- Less shelf life - spoils quickly
- More upfront costs (but you save in the long run)
- Grab and go - no large time commitment
- Has a longer shelf life
- Can purchase your baby’s favorites as various stores
- Not knowing exactly what is in the food
- Contains added preservatives
- Nutrients may be lost during preserving process
- $$ Cost more in the long run
These are just a few of the top pros and cons when it comes to making your baby’s food or choosing to purchase pre-made. With the two choices available today, this is an important decision for your baby and your family. We hope that this gives you a bit of insight and aids you in the decision making process!
We love hearing from our readers! Have you made your baby’s food, if so what pointers would you give fellow parents? Did you opt for store bought foods? What foods were your baby’s favorite?
Leave your comments below, we answer each and every one of them!